Better engagement, safer relationships, happier workforce
Give your workforce the practical tools and skills they need to work with trauma effectively and find work more rewarding, with our Trauma-Informed Practice training.
Empower clients to make positive changes
Research shows the long-term effects of trauma can impair a client’s ability to engage with and receive the benefits of community services.
Many professionals encounter challenges with clients shutting down, freezing, becoming defensive, violent or simply being unable to trust workers to support them towards their goals. In fact, the majority of people who access community services have experienced some form of trauma.
Heal For Life Trauma-Informed Practice training provides your staff with the practical tools and strategies they need to provide support to traumatised clients. All of our trainers are survivors themselves. This provides a unique insight into what really works to engage and motivate survivors to make positive changes in their lives.
Boost employee satisfaction, wellbeing and retention
Professionals need effective tools to manage the emotional stress of daily interactions with traumatised clients.
When staff aren’t able to provide effective outcomes for their clients, emotional and mental strain sets in. Organisations that safeguard the wellbeing of their workers will experience a positive impact on staff leave, retention, outcomes for clients and other key performance indicators.
Heal for Life has empowered over 8,500 people to heal from childhood trauma
We are an organisation run by survivors, for survivors – when we deliver Trauma-Informed Practice training, your staff benefit from decades of frontline and lived experience.
We provide the same practical strategies and tools that we use every day to help clients feel safe, engaged and empowered to make positive changes in their lives.
Upcoming Dates: Newcastle 17th-18th May 2021
Who can we help with Trauma-Informed Practice training?
If you are working in any capacity with clients who have experienced some form of childhood trauma, we can assist you to better support them while looking after yourself.
Our training benefits:
- Social Workers
- Health Care Professionals
- Therapists and Psychologists
- Mental Health Workers
- Family / Youth / Health Service Workers
- Social Service Providers
- Case Managers
- Community Service Providers
- Government Health Workers
- Drug and Alcohol Staff
- Aged Care Workers
- Disability Support Workers
Our training can be tailored to your organisation's challenges and needs
Our model of trauma support is based on the latest neuroscience research and was developed by survivors of childhood trauma, with the support of health professionals.
Independent evaluation has found that the program we run for survivors is responsible for long-term improvements in mental health, emotional functioning, social functioning, pain and vitality scores.
Our organisational trainings are based on SAMHSA’s universally recognised principles of trauma informed practice.
Our team are qualified trainers with lived experience of trauma
We have a range of training programs and workshops delivered by our training facilitators who are both health professionals and survivors of childhood trauma.
2 Day Workshop
Duration: 2 Days
Participants: Min 10
We provide a research-based exploration of the strategies that work best with survivors of childhood trauma. Survivors of childhood trauma or abuse present their unique experiences of mental health and community services providing an informed, holistic view or the process from the perspective of both consumers and professionals.
“How fantastic that you bring young people with you to share some of their stories with us, they are beautiful and strong”
- Recognise signs of trauma in clients.
- Identify behavioural problems caused by trauma and apply strategies to engage with the client to change these behaviours.
- Be able to explain to clients the basics of the impact of trauma on the developing brain to reassure them that their reactions are a normal response to an abnormal situation.
- Teach clients how to de-trigger effectively and simply.
- Recognise the differences between the adult and teenage brain and how this impacts on behaviour and successful approaches for clients of all ages.
- Explain the basic different ego states and how this impacts on behaviour to understand how simple adaptations to approach can drastically improve the response from clients.
- Recognise basic attachment styles in clients and the way this is affecting their relationships.
- Put into practice the 10 Principles of Trauma-Informed Practice for the most effective engagement with clients who have suffered from trauma, producing more effective outcomes for both client and worker.
- Learn how to empower clients to take self-responsibility for behaviour and relationship changes in their lives.
- Understand how a worker’s own trauma history may help or hinder their work, and learn strategies to provide stronger peer support outcomes and protect against a higher risk of vicarious trauma.
- Utilise neuroscience-based strategies to manage conflict and enhance workplace relationships.
Pricing & registration
Secure your place for the next TIP Workshop: 17th-18th May, 2021
17th-18th May 2021, Newcastle
The following fee covers the 2 day training and educational materials provided.
Cost: $285 per person (1 day only)
Cost: $350 per person (2 days)
For group bookings, please contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions
160 Christian counsellors in the Philippines has been our largest group to date. We are happy to train any number. We vary the size of the team dependent on the number of our participants to ensure the workshops remain highly interactive.
We require a venue that fits the size of the group so they can sit in a relaxed format. You provide or we can bring the usual IT requirements.
Absolutely. Each training is specific to your cohort and the outcomes you desire. We also try to provide trainers who have intimate knowledge of your clients and service. So, if we are training a school we will have a teacher with us, if it’s a hospital a trainer will be a nurse. This is to ensure we thoroughly capture the experience and needs of your team.
Our program has run for 20 years so we have been learning and practicing our trauma informed approach for a long time. This means the tools and strategies we share are practice, not theory based. We are one of few organisations who provides trauma training who us also providing grassroots, trauma recovery services. Most importantly, all of our trainers are survivors of childhood trauma so they talk from personal experience well as learned knowledge of trauma. We understand the challenges of working with trauma on the frontline and the risks as other survivors. This also means we have strategies for protecting the health and wellbeing of staff that come from a deep experience. All of us really understand the complexities of trauma and want to help your people to work more effectively and enjoyably with survivors of trauma.